Before you start...
Please be aware that if you are using self-hypnosis recordings at night—unless you are quite anxious and find it hard to relax—it is better not to listen to them in bed, or you may fall asleep.
Instead, sit on a comfortable chair with your back and neck straight. If the tendency is to let your head drop down, don’t let it; you don’t want to be drowsy and you may give yourself a stiff neck otherwise. Don’t slouch either. Instead, try to get the support you need.
You can use meditation cushions if you are a meditator and it feels familiar and comfortable to you. If you are sitting on a chair or lying down, make sure you keep your feet flat on the floor and your legs and arms uncrossed. Always use the same position so your body will learn to associate the posture with self-hypnosis.
Whether you are listening to your recording at night, early in the morning, or during a break in the day, make sure you switch off your mobile notifications, close social media, and avoid all distractions by putting your phone on airplane mode.
You could put a sign on the door so you are not interrupted and if there are sounds around you, tell yourself you are going to ignore them, as if they came from a TV playing in another room with the volume turned down. Imagine they are a background soundtrack to your relaxation, helping you zone in on your inner world.
Adopt the Hypnotic Mindset
To access hypnosis, you need to first adopt the ‘Hypnotic Mindset’. It can be summarised as follows:
- You expect hypnosis to happen.
- You recognise the induction as a cue to become hypnotised.
- You choose to see suggestions as an opportunity—an array of possibilities that are open to you, rather than a threat.
- You realise you are in control and you are confident you can enter hypnosis (but you don’t try too hard, either).
- You commit to wait for your body to respond. You are involved in the process; this is not just something the hypnotist does to you.
- You are aware of what you are doing. You think about your experience, and you become the observer.
How does hypnosis feel?
Some of the most common sensations you may experience during a session are:
- Your legs and your arms may feel heavier or lighter than normal.
- You may feel a sensation similar to floating or sinking into the floor.
- You may think a part of your body is in a different position from where it really is.
- You may not feel some parts of your body at all.
- You may see images or colours in your mind.
- You may wake up feeling revitalised and calm, as if you’ve had a power nap
Believe that hypnosis is going to happen. Expect it to work, and don’t test it or hope it will work. Expressing hope implies you are doubting the effectiveness of the procedure.
Have a positive attitude
Trust yourself to be receptive. Tell yourself you are responding to the suggestions you are hearing. Be gently encouraging with yourself. Believe you can produce results without trying very hard at all.
In fact, don’t try. Trying implies failure. Remember to focus. Keep it positive or it won’t work! Remind yourself you are creating hypnosis by engaging your imagination. It is your choice to do so. You are doing this because you believe hypnosis serves your best interests and you are going to benefit from the session. Realise that you are in control of the process. Tell yourself you are capable and commit time and effort to the process. Be patient.
Pretend it is working until it does
Behave as if you already are hypnotised. Act like it. Convince yourself. Adopt the posture and the position of someone who is hypnotised. Tell yourself you are and your body will believe you and respond accordingly.
Be absorbed in the process. When you listen to the recording, trust you are doing this the way that is right for you. Being as still as possible will enable you to be more focused on the hypnotic process.
Complete Your Action Steps
(Premium Members Only)
Find an accountability Buddy on the MTS FB Group
so you can help each other stay on course!
(Post on Unit 2)
- If you are a Premium Member, Join the FB Group Master the Stage Here
- For More Information about this session Buy the Book Dare to Be Seen
- If you have bought this course you are eligible to receive the e-book for free. To do so scroll to the end of the Session 2 where you will find the link to the free pdf.